Thursday, May 17, 2007

Herbed Garlic Mashed Potatoes

1 medium head garlic
1/2 cup low fat, low sodium chicken broth
3 potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 cup warm skim milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Slice the top off the head of garlic to expose the cloves. Place the whole head and the broth in a small casserole dish & cover. Bake for 1 hour; remove dish from the oven & set aside.
3. Boil the cubed potatoes in water for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain. Add the warm milk and olive oil. Beat with mixer until potatoes are fluffy. Add the herbs.
4. Gently squeeze the garlic out from each of the cloves, leaving behind the skins. Add all the garlic pulp to the potatoes. Beat again and season with salt & pepper.

***
These were pretty good, I did do just a couple things different....didn't add the full cup of milk- only a little more than a 1/2 cup. I think that it would depend how "creamy" you like you mashed potatoes. Next, I didn't have any thyme so that got left out completely and I was afraid that 2 tablespoons of oil would be too much, so I only added 1. I think next time I will try it with 2 just to see. I thought that they needed more garlic flavor, but Mike said it had plenty of flavor. Possibly next time I will also season with a little bit of garlic powder...we'll see. Anyway, in the end we all liked them, so I will be making this again.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Do these have a point value? Or are they free? I'm not sure what is free and what is not since I'm not doing this diet. I know my mom will ask me though :)

Diana said...

These are core. Not sure what the point value is for the Flex plan.